I had hoped to be able to show impressive progress on these socks:
Unfortunately, I cast on whilst awaiting the start of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Woodward Park and I was deep in conversation with an old friend.
I had read the instructions and knew full well the first set of directions was for a child’s sock.
I did not let mere facts get in the way and cast on 48 stitches and began ribbing. Did I notice as I joined, being careful not to twist, that the circumference of the cuff was far too small? Why, yes, I did. Thank you for asking. However I forged ahead and had finished most of the cuff blindly believing the circumference would be just fine.
Yesterday, I decided to count the stitches. There were 48, which should not have been a surprise as that is the number I cast on. However, I told myself, “Self! You know you always cast on at least 60 stitches when making socks.”
I rechecked the pattern and lo! 64 stitches are needed for the woman’s sock. I really hate casting on (I can never accurately guesstimate how much of a tail I will need) so I frogged back ever so carefully to the cast on and am gingerly putting the little stitches back onto my size 1 (US) needles.
I have been incredibly lazy this summer and this is all the progress I have made on Mr. B’s sweater: